Mormon Messages

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Book Reviews

I think that I'm going to start doing some book reviews on this blog. Maybe I should just post them on Amazon, but I'd kind of like to keep track and this seems like the best way to do that.

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson ****
This is a book that you will either love or hate. It has no real plot. It is a story of loss and finding your path in life. The path that the main character takes is one that one that crosses the line into insanity or maybe just obliviousness. Is she predisposed to taking the path? Why did the original sisters turn out the way that they did? This story leaves a lot of questions unanswered as it meanders.
The book did capture my attention and grew on me. I loved the writing style that kind of developed as the story went along. The references to death, water, and drowning were absolutely amazing. The author made it easy to see how one can just drift. It is a book to reread for the words alone.


Digging to America by Anne Tyler ***
Anne Tyler books are always nice stories, that's why I read them from time to time. This book centered around two couples that adopted from Korea. As is her style, Anne Tyler told the story from several viewpoints. I enjoyed the story from the mother-in-laws perspective. I kept thinking to myself while reading, that the author must have done a lot of research into Iranian customs or have a close friend who was willing to share. I would have liked a bit more development of the story, instead of just another party. Also, the ending was lame. It was a decent, clean book though.

1 comment:

Life's a Dance said...

I love the idea of book reviews! I am always looking for good books to read - so keep them coming!